strive to live up to God's expectation.
Unfoldinga new history of Korean Christianity
Baptist Theological University/Seminary was founded under the name, “Baptist Bible Institute”
at Jung-dong, Dong-gu, Daejeon city on Jun. 1, 1953 for the purpose of training the ministers of the gospel
demanded by Korea and the world.
History of Theology Education Organization of the Korea Baptist Convention
Korea Baptist Convention
|Feb. 10, 1903.||Gongju Bible Institute (Missionary Fenwick, Rev. Shin Myeong-gyun)/ Wonsan Bible Institute (Missionary Fenwick)|
|1949 (39th Ganggyeong general meeting)||Changed to Korea Christian Baptist Convention and promoted partnership with US Southern Baptist Convention|
|1950 (40th Jeomchon general meeting)||Partnership with US Southern Baptist Convention|
Founded denominational theological school
|Feb. 1953.||Baptist Convention Bible Institute (Co-sponsored by Korea Christian Baptist Convention and Korea Baptist Mission of Southern Baptist Convention (US))|
|Jul. 7, 1954.||Baptist Convention Theological School (Ministry of Education)|
|Jun. 18, 1962.||Founded Korea Baptist Convention Theological School (denomination separation, Pohang-side)|
|Aug. 20, 1968.||Acquisition of Korea Baptist Convention Theological School (Merged separated denomination)|
|Mar. 5, 1973.||Seoul Grace Seminary (Seoul)|
|Mar. 13, 1976.||Gyeonggi Seminary (Suwon)|
|Mar. 22, 1976.||Baptist Seoul Seminary (Seoul)|
|Mar. 5, 1978.||Youngnam Seminary (Pohang)|
|Dec. 22, 1973 .||Korea Baptist Theological College (Ministry of Education)|
|Oct. 2, 1980.||Baptist Theological College (Changed school name, Ministry of Education)|
|Dec. 8, 1980.||Partial merging of Baptist Seoul Seminary||Separation of Baptist Seoul Seminary|
|1981.3.9.||Founded Capital Baptist Theological Seminary (Rev. Kim Jang-hwan)
(Merging of Seoul Grace Seminary and Youngnam Seminary)
|Mar. 9, 1981.||Founded Capital Baptist Theological Seminary (Rev. Kim Jang-hwan) (Merging of Seoul Grace Seminary and Youngnam Seminary)|
|Jan. 20, 1984.||Capital Baptist Theological Seminary (College, Ministry of Education)|
|Feb. 26, 1993.||Baptist Seoul Theological College was merged with Seoul Campus|
|Feb. 16, 1995.||Gyeonggi Seminary was merged with Suwon Campus|
Merged denominational seminary
|Sept. 12, 2001(Merged).||educational foundation Korea Baptist Seminary (Ministry of Education, Baptist Seminary+Capital Baptist Seminary)|
|Mar. 1, 2006 (Merged).||Baptist Theological Seminary (Ministry of Education, Baptist Theological Seminary+Capital Baptist Theological Seminary(college))|
Changed school name
|Oct. 1, 2020.||Korea Baptist Theological University/Seminary (changed school name, Ministry of Education)|
Outline History of Baptist Theological Seminary (1953-2005)
Jung-dong Campus Era(1953-1956)
At the 42nd denomination annual general meeting in 1952, a decision was made to establish a bible institute in Daejeon for the purpose of training Baptist gospel ministers demanded by the world on the basis of a life of faith based on the Bible and persistent missionary spirit to spread the gospel to the ends of the earth. And in February 1953, the following year, [Baptist Bible Institute] was founded and John A. Abernathy (Korean name: Na Yo-han) was appointed as president, and Rev. Han Gi-chun and Choi Hyeong-geun were appointed as teachers.) On Apr. 8, 1954, the status of the bible institute was elevated to [Baptist Seminary], and started having the appearance of a seminary by obtaining the authorization to open “preparatory courses” and “special courses” from the Ministry of Education. 18 special department students graduated from our seminary in the first graduation ceremony on Mar. 8, 1956.
Mok-dong Campus Era(1957-1991)
The main building which commenced construction on the Mok-dong campus site on October 1956 was completed in November 1957. The main building was named after doctor John Abernathy as “Abernathy Hall” for his dedicated service as the first president of our seminary. On Feb. 17, 1962, the school was authorized to open “required courses” and “special courses” from the Ministry of Education, and by then, over 100 students were enrolled. On Dec. 22, 1973, the school was elevated to a status of a 4-year college and experienced full-fledged growth by receiving authorization for foundation under the school name, “Korean Baptist Seminary” from the Ministry of Education. And the school expanded facilities by newly building or expanding lecture rooms, library, student hall, auditorium, dormitory for male and female students, couple’s dormitory, etc.
From 1976, Seoul Baptist Seminary was merged as a branch school of our seminary, and in January 1978, “the Department of Christian Education” was newly established with the goal of training educational ministers, and the number of enrolled students reached 600. On Oct. 2, 1980, the school name was changed to [Baptist Seminary], and on November 24 of the same year, the school was authorized to establish the Graduate School and the Graduate School of Theology, and experienced new change for training highly qualified pastors who can play a leading role in the modern society. Meanwhile, the Korean branch school of Asia Baptist Theological Seminary sponsored by the US Southern Baptist Convention was established on July 6, 1981, and the school strived to train pastors demanded by not only the Korean church but also the Asian region. In September 1983, the Department of Religious Music was newly established, and thus our seminary provided a new ground for training team ministers consisting of a senior pastor, an educational pastor, and a musical pastor. Heo Gin took office as the 5th president on November 12, 1984, with the goal to create a new image of a modern pastor with spirituality and intelligence. The school set up a master plan to relocate the campus, which was the long-cherished project of the Baptist denomination, and to take a giant leap as a global Baptist seminary. On November 9, 1987, the Doctor’s degree course was established in the graduate school. This equipped the school with all three-degree programs: Bachelor’s degree, Master’s degree, and Doctor’s degree course for training pastors as an advance base of the gospel ministry targeting the world.
Our seminary, which established all the curriculum for training excellent pastors, experienced limitations in growth at the Mok-dong campus and searched for a new campus site. Then, the school purchased the site measuring approx. 200,000 m2 at Hagi-dong, Yuseong-gu, Daejeon city, and held a worship service for the groundbreaking of the new campus site on May 30, 1989.
Yuseong Campus Era(1992 - Present)
In 1992, the school buildings and dormitories were completed in Hagi-dong, Yuseong-gu, and the school relocated to the new campus to launch the era of Yuseong campus as the era of Mok-dong campus came to an end. On March 1, 1994, the name of the school was changed to [Baptist Theological Seminary] according to the Private School Act. In 1996, the Graduate School of Pastoral Ministry was officially approved by the Ministry of Education and the Master’s course for Pastoral Ministry began. In 1997, according to the regulations of the Social Education Act, the Institute for Life-Long Education was approved by the Ministry of Education as a social education facility, and pastor’s wife college and women’s ministry course commenced. World Mission Training Center which was completed in 1998 is vitalizing the missionary movement of churches affiliated to the Korea Baptist Convention and Baptist Theological Seminary through engaging in vigorous activities including short & long term missionary training and strategic researches on missionary work. The new establishment of “Department of Early Childhood Education” in 1998, and “Department of Christian Counseling” and Graduate School of Church Music enabled the actualization of a more specialized and diverse desire for education.
And in 2000, the Graduate School of Social Welfare was opened, and in 2001, the Graduate School of Ministry was restructured as the Graduate School of Pastoral Ministry. On September 12, 2001, the school foundations, Baptist Institute and Capital Baptist Theological Seminary united and laid the foundation for merging both theological seminaries. In 2002, the construction of Freedom Building and Baptist Theological Seminary kindergarten was completed, and in 2003, by carrying out extension work on the dormitory, the school not only prepared a good student welfare facility but is also providing opportunities for receiving Christian faith-based education to enrolled students, pastors, and local residents. In 2004, the school improved the graduate school and expanded the Master’s and Doctor’s course of the graduate school, and newly established “Department of Early Childhood Education” in the Master’s course. Doctor of Ministry degree course was newly established in the Graduate School of Pastoral Ministry, and Graduate School of Counseling was newly established as a special graduate school.
In 2005, to open a path for students to study abroad, our seminary established sisterhood relationships with prominent Baptist universities all over the world including Whitley College (Australia), Dallas Baptist University (US), and California Baptist University, and introduced a student exchange program and a dual degree system. In the same year, the Department of Christian Psychology changed its name to “Department of Counseling Psychology,” and our university successfully completed the 2nd comprehensive university assessment conducted by the Korean Council for University Education.
Outline History of Capital Baptist Theological Seminary (1973-2005)
After the Korean War, US southern Baptist missionaries saw the entire capital region including Seoul suffering from the terrible disaster of war, and decided to establish a Baptist seminary in ‘Daejeon.’ With this, since the need to train talents in the capital area emerged after the [Baptist Convention Seminary] was established in Daejeon, denomination pastors set out to establish a seminary. With Rev. Lee Seong-ho in Seoul playing a key role within the denomination, Grace Seminary (principal: Rev. Lee Seong-ho) was founded and operated in March 1973, Gyeonggi Seminary (principal: Rev. Kim Jang-hwan) of Suwon in March 1976, and Youngnam Seminary (principal: Rev. Baek Hwa-gi) of Pohang in March 1978. Capital Baptist Theological Seminary began in February 1976 by merging Baptist Seoul Seminary (principal: Rev. Ji Deok) established by the Korea Baptist Convention in Seoul and Baptist Seminary (principal: Rev. Ji Dae-myeong) in Daejeon. Meanwhile, at the Korea Baptist Convention’s 70th annual general meeting (Sept. 1980), a decision was made to establish a policy for merging unauthorized seminaries affiliated to the denomination centered around the Seoul campus of the [Baptist Seminary] according to the Ministry of Education policy, and to apply for establishing a regular seminary to the Ministry of Education. In December 1980, [Baptist Seminary] Seoul campus separated from [Baptist Seminary] to become [Baptist Theological College] (principal: Rev. Oh Gwan-seok). In March 1981, Grace Seminary, Gyeonggi Seminary, and Youngnam Seminary merged centered around [Baptist Theological College], and thus [Capital Baptist Theological Seminary] (principal: Rev. Kim Jang-hwan) was launched.
Merger and Authorization by the Ministry of Education(1982-1987)
In December 1982, the educational foundation, Capital Baptist Theological Seminary (chairman: Rev. Kang Won-hee) was officially authorized by the Ministry of Education and cemented the foundation for the growth of the school. The school expanded its facilities by taking over 178,512 m2 of forest land at Namyang-ri, Namyang-myeon, Hwaseong-gun, Gyeonggi province in April 1982; and 14,816 m2 of land and 3,484 m2 of buildings at Yongdu-ri, Gongdo-myeon, Anseong city, Gyeonggi province in November 1983. Based on this, in January 1984, [Capital Baptist Theological Seminary] solidified its foundation for growth by receiving approval from the Ministry of Education. On January 18, 1986, the school was approved as a school recognized for its 4 year-university degree by the Ministry of Education, and at the same time, it was authorized to newly establish the department of theology for 40 students in day classes and 20 students in evening classes. Through this authorization, the school came to have the appearance of a seminary worthy of its name that can achieve the purpose of its foundation: to train Baptist pastors, missionaries, theologians, and Christian leaders under the school motto: “the Word,” “Love,” and “Mission.” Since then, [Capital Baptist Theological Seminary] established its framework as the only organization for training people of talent in the capital region within the denomination by running Seoul campus and Suwon campus centered around the principal school in Anseong. Doctor Kim Gap-su initially served two terms as the president of [Capital Baptist Theological Seminary] and Dr. Kwon Hyeok-bong as the 3rd president, and Dr. Choi I-sik served as the 4th president. And Doctor Ahn Jong-dae normalized the seminary as an educational foundation while serving as the 5th president.
Normalization of board of directors & Merging of Two Schools.(1988-2005)
Capital Baptist Theological Seminary achieved normalization as an educational foundation (July 1998) thanks to the dedication of chairman Rev. Park Seon-jae. Afterwards, in February 1999, chairman Park appointed Dr. Kim Seon-bae as the 6th president for his role in winning the lawsuit in the Supreme Court against non-believing directors and for successfully negotiating with the directors for the normalization of the school as an educational foundation. [Capital Baptist Theological Seminary] conducted pastor classes and pastoral extension education through systematic theological training by operating Pastoral Theology Research Institute, Graduate School of Theology, Graduate School for Pastor’s Wives and Women’s Theology Institute, and Institute for Doctor of Pastoral Ministry at the principal school in Anseong as well as at school affiliated institutions. In particular, Bachelor of Theology degree (Th.B.) was presented to graduates of theology majors at the Anseong principal school since February 1999, and as a result of pouring the heart and soul into training talented individuals, the school grew to a seminary that has produced over 2,000 graduates. Furthermore, we have secured the foundation to systematically study biblical geography by setting up a sisterhood relationship with the University of Jerusalem in Israel. And to have an appearance as a school in charge of the evangelization of China, we encouraged enrolled students to engage in mission training for China, and also in preparation for the unification of South and North Korea, we have encouraged students to conduct in-depth research on the role the church and Christians have to play. Like this, we have exerted our best efforts to improve the status of the Korean Baptist church in the 21st Century. As one of the two major branches of the theology education institution under the Korea Baptist Convention, [Capital Baptist Theological Seminary] fulfilled its sacred duty to produce faithful, biblical and evangelical workmen for God to uphold the Scriptures, practice love, and fulfill the Great Commission. Then, Capital Baptist Theological Seminary merged with the Baptist Theological Seminary on March 1, 2006 according to the resolution reached by the general assembly of the denomination, and established itself as the only theology education institution of the Baptist denomination.
History of Merged [Korea Baptist Theological University/Seminary]
On March 1, 2006, [Baptist Theological Seminary] and [Capital Baptist Theological Seminary] merged according to the resolution reached by the general assembly of the denomination, and established itself as the only theology education institution of the Baptist denomination.
The seminary has established sisterhood relationship with Golden Gate Baptist University (US) and Morling College (Australia) in 2006, Liberty University (US) in 2007, and Midwestern Baptist Theological Seminary (US) in 2010. Even in the future, we will exert our best efforts to make the dream of students who want to study abroad come true by setting up sisterhood relationship with prominent overseas universities.
In 2011, the Graduate School of Counseling and Social Welfare was newly established by merging the Graduate School of Counseling and Graduate School of Social Welfare, and in 2012, we established the Graduate School of Missions and “Department of Piano” to satisfy more specialized and diverse demands for education.
In April 2019, the Department of English was renamed as “Department of Practical English,” and in December 2019, the Master’s course in the Graduate School of Pastoral Ministry was discontinued, and Pastoral Theology major was newly established in the Graduate School of Theology.
In March 2020, the Department of Piano was renamed as “Convergence Contemporary Instrumental Music Department (CCID),” and “Department of Youth” was newly established.
In July 2020, the Graduate School of Biblical Exegesis was newly established, and the Graduate School of Missions, the Graduate School of Church Music, and the Department of Social Welfare in the Graduate School of Counseling and Social Welfare were discontinued. And the Department of Church Music in the Graduate School was renamed as “Department of Music.”
To serve the local community with love and sharing, Songkang Social Welfare Center was established in December 1994, and in December 2013, Allgoun Nursery was opened at the Sejong Government Complex as a workplace nursery, and in 2014, Daejeon Metropolitan City Youth Counseling & Welfare Center was opened.
On October 1, 2020, the school was renamed as “Korea Baptist Theological University/Seminary” and established itself as the best theology education institution that will lead the Korean and global Baptist church both in name and reality. We are playing the leading role as an evangelical university/seminary training the best pastors who will lead the future society through engaging in various exchanges with local churches, the local community and Baptist theological universities/seminaries at home and abroad.
Our university aims to become “a university serving the world and communicating with the times,” and is going forth into the world with over 4,000 churches, over 20,000 alumni, and over 800,000 believers all over the world while embracing Jesus’ Great Commission.